From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Problem when a use a x:forEach into another x:forEach
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:22:22 GMT
This : http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/933 shows how to merge multiple XML source files into one,
and it works in XSLT 1.0

-Rashmi

----- Original Message ----
To: Tag Libraries Users List <taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:20:45 AM
Subject: Re: Problem when a use a x:forEach into another x:forEach

In both JSTL 1.1 and 1.0 specifications nothing is mentioned about nested x:forEach loops
where the inner x:forEach iterates over the parsed results of a *different* xml file.

Since this scenario is not officially mentioned anywhere, I can't really tell for sure if
the set-up you have is supposed to work or not. I didn't test it with JSTL 1.0, but since
you say it worked in JSTL 1.0 I can't see why it shouldn't work with 1.1.

It is probably a bug in JSTL 1.1. I think this is where one could file a bug/ feature request:
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/#Bugs

I also searched on ways to combine two different XML files into one with XSLT, it is possible
on the command line with a parser like Saxon, but I couldn't find ways to do it programatically
at least with XSLT 1.0 which is supported by the most recent version of Xalan which is used
by JSTL. But you can check with a XSLT mailing list if you want to take that approach.

Another approach would be to generate a merged XML file instead of two separate XML files.

-Rashmi