tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Private branches in the official Tomcat git repository
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:39:39 GMT
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Rémy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This vote is to regulate the use of branches in the official Tomcat
> repository beyond branches that are approved by the community such as 8.5.x
> and 7.0.x. It is possible to do development in private branches directly in
> the official Tomcat repository, as an alternative to using forks and pull
> requests.
>
> Should private branches be allowed in the official Tomcat git repository ?
> [ ] Yes
> [X] No
>
> I found branches created a disproportionate amount of email traffic which
is rather distracting and not necessarily easy to visually separate from
"real" commits on official branches, in addition to requiring subsequent
cleanup and maintenance causing further email traffic nuisance. As a
result, I believe any early/experimental development work should rather
happen in separate git forks and pull requests.

Rémy