tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Igal Sapir <i...@lucee.org>
Subject Re: Links to other websites in the documentation?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:31:32 GMT
On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:09 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

> > All,
> >
> > Would it be okay to link to another web site -- specifically,
> > Wikipedia -- in the Tomcat documentation?
> >
> > I'd like to link to the page on "block cipher modes" from the
> > EncryptInterceptor documentation.
> >
> > We have links to Oracle's documentation, so I'm guessing this would be
> > okay, but I wanted to check.
>
> I can't think of any reason not to.

I think that as a policy though, the links should be "nofollow", or else we
will start receiving pull requests from random sources who would want to
get a link to their sites.  Follow links from the Tomcat site and/or
documentation can be very valuable for SEO purposes, and if users would
think that they can sneak in a link they would do so.

While Wikipedia and the Oracle site are fine with regular links, making
this a "policy" will help avoid the future discussions about which link
qualifies for a "follow" link.

Igal

Igal