tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Igal Sapir <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New design for the Tomcat website
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:57:01 GMT
On 1/10/2019 7:20 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/01/2019 01:23, Igal Sapir wrote:
>> I made changes according to your feedback.  You can see them at
>> http://people.apache.org/~isapir/mockups/tomcat-site-2/
>>
>> To make room for the nav items, I moved the logos above the nav bar.  That
>> also allowed for the ASF logos to be shown at the top.  On a very small
>> screen, the full ASF logo is replaced with the Feather logo.  The social
>> media and font-size selector were moved to the bottom, and the search field
>> is collapsed until it gets focus.
> Just noticed that is an old version of the Tomcat logo without the TM.
> (A very, very minor issue.)

This is an SVG format so I really like it as it is small in byte-size
yet Scalable in image-size.  I will try to add TM to it with my limited
graphic design skills.  If that doesn't go easily I'll just use the
image from the current site for now.

>> See example of ApacheCon 2019 in new mockup.
> That part of the page seems to make better use of the space to me so I
> like it.

>>   While we definitely want to keep the L&F consistent, I am not sure that
>> those other properties would need the full experience as the site, e.g. do
>> the offline docs and site manager need to have a responsive design that
>> would work on a mobile device?
>>
>> The main libraries used are:
>>
>> Bootstrap 4 - MIT license - https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.1/about/license/
>> jQuery 3 - MIT license - https://jquery.org/license/
>> Popper.js (comes with Bootstrap, not using features ATM AFAIK) - MIT
>> license - https://github.com/FezVrasta/popper.js/blob/master/LICENSE.md
> Looks to be all MIT then so that should be OK.
>
>> Please let me know your thoughts.
> I like it. I'd offer to help but my web authoring skills never got
> further than hand-crafting HTML in $OS_DEFAULT_TEXT_EDITOR

No worries.  I'm happy to work on this, was just waiting for feedback.

@Rémy - let me know if those changes addressed your concerns.

I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone else raises any issues that
should be addressed.

Best,

Igal