tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Igal Sapir <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New design for the Tomcat website
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2019 23:47:46 GMT
On 1/3/2019 12:09 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/01/2019 17:38, Igal Sapir wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> Looking at other ASF sites like Kafka, Pulsar, and Spark I don't see the
>> ASF logo at the top - is that really a requirement? Tomcat is popular
>> and its brand is recognizable.  ASF logo and trademark notice are there,
>> just not at the top of every page.
> This shows what is required:
> https://whimsy.apache.org/site/
> (and how compliant various projects are)

Good to know.  Kafka's compliance is the same as the current Tomcat, and
Spark's is at 100%.

> Note: The current Tomcat non-compliance is deliberate because the
> associated image was out of date again. I haven't checked to see if it
> has been updated and the link restored.
>
> I'd very much like to see the "Support Apache" button at the top. The
> ASF logo is nice to have but I'm happy with it where it is (it could
> even be smaller).

I moved the Support Apache icon to the top so we can see how it looks.

> I'd also echo the comments that have been made regarding font size. I
> bought a high resolution monitor so I could get lots of text on the
> screen. I really dislike the current trend of towards larger and larger
> fonts. What is the best way to put users in control so those that like
> large fonts have large fonts and those that want lots of text have lots
> of text?

Here's an experiment - I added a dropdown to the menu with an icon "A"
that opens up a slider that lets you choose a font size (12px, 16, 20).
The size is persisted with localStorage which is supported by all modern
browsers, though a cookie can be used instead.

I also improved the social media icons and margins on very small screens
per Leon's feedback.

The Search box can be collapse to preserve screen space and only open up
when the search icon is clicked.

Please be sure to reload the page, and keep in mind that this is a
mockup where not everything is working 100% yet:
http://people.apache.org/~isapir/mockups/tomcat-site-1/

Best,

Igal