tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1848225 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/loader: LocalStrings.properties WebappClassLoaderBase.java WebappLoader.java
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2018 13:42:50 GMT
On 05/12/2018 20:40, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:17 PM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I don't know what to do with:
>>> - the bootstrap.jar strings: nothing ?
>>
>> Refactor StringManager to JULI? It is somewhat logging related so that
>> doesn't seem completely crazy.
>>

> Ok, why not.

Apart from the fact it would mean touching almost every class in Tomcat?

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I like it. Move the res
package from o.a.tomcat.util.res o.a.juli.res and deprecate the old one
along with the copy in tribes. And then remove the old ones in 10.x

>>> - the "upstream" strings: dbcp, pool, bcel, fileupload
>>
>> We could 'fix' them. It would mean the code diverging further from the
>> original which will make syncing harder. Roughly how many Strings are we
>> talking about here?
>>

> About 200.

Hmm. DBCP2 already has simple l10n support along the lines of:

private static final ResourceBundle messages = ResourceBundle.getBundle(
        Utils.class.getPackage().getName() + ".LocalStrings");

That could be extended. Every ASF committer has commit access to Commons
so I guess it could just be fixed at source. I'll volunteer to merge the
changes back into Tomcat.

Pool2 doesn't use a ResourceBundle but I don't see why it couldn't. Same
for FileUpload.

BCEL code is so far removed from Commons BCEL I'd probably just fix it
locally.

Mark