tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1848806 - in /tomcat/trunk/java: javax/el/ javax/servlet/ javax/servlet/http/ org/apache/jasper/ org/apache/jasper/compiler/ org/apache/jasper/resources/ org/apache/jasper/runtime/ org/apache/jasper/security/ org/apache/jasper/servlet/ org...
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2018 12:34:39 GMT
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 1:55 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Rémy,
>
> On 12/12/18 17:42, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 11:29 PM <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Author: remm Date: Wed Dec 12 22:29:52 2018 New Revision:
> >> 1848806

> >> i18n for jasper and el packages
> >>

> > As far as I am concerned I am "done" for now. Maybe I'll do the
> > bootstrap and JNI though, although there will be some more verbose
> > code for these.
> >
> > There are about 260 obvious strings remaining elsewhere (maybe more
> > hidden with odd patterns) in "third party" modules, I can post the
> > list somewhere if there are volunteers.
>
> This is very low-hanging fruit that a potential new contributor could
> be doing. Why not leave it for others? I'd rather have you working on
> NIO and JSSE/OpenSSL stuff :)

Nice debate :)

So that's the theory. In practice, to attract people, you need low hanging
*interesting* fruit. Even the poeditor work is only attracting a handful of
people and right now the completion % of most languages is actually going
down. Also: we really don't want to get 200 BZs each fixing two strings.
the same reasoning for Mark as well when he undertakes something really
boring.

Rémy