tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing taglibs mini-site
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:24:27 GMT
2012/3/3 Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org>:
> Thanks Olivier. Based on this, this is my suggestion for taglibs:
>
> Remove the site entries from the parent project so we don't impact taglib modules when
the site content changes.
> Make the site module responsible for the top-level site (o.a.t/taglibs) and each taglib
(currently standard and rdc) for its own sub-section.
> Each version of a taglib (including SNAPSHOT) has its own mini-site.

Good plan !

> The site module is not versioned and contain's frequently changing content (like news,
ApacheCon promos) - frequently being anything changing quicker than releases - currently every
8 years or so :)

> Create a skin for Tomcat that matches the main site and switch from the Commons skin.
>
> I plan to start on this but, fair warning, I have no design skills so it it's likely
to look pretty ugly - hopefully someone will step in to help fix.

As  IANAD too (D for designer :-) ), I preferred to to help on a skin
in maven land based on twitter bootstrap and use it for the maven
plugin (see http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-2.0-beta-1/)

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> euh as there isn't any distributionManagement-> site
>> this will go no where
>>
>> Maybe do as I have done for the maven plugin see
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin.html
>>
>> so versionned documentation is published.
>>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-${project.version}
>> Pom content:
>>
>>    <site>
>>      <id>apache.website</id>
>>      <url>${distributionSiteUrl}</url>
>>    </site>
>>
>> with <distributionSiteUrl>scp://people.apache.org/www/tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-${project.version}</distributionSiteUrl>
>>
>> I use a property for testing purpose. Doing something like
>> -DdistributionSiteUrl=scp://people.apache.org/home/jboynes/public_html/taglib
>>
>> As it you can see it in live http://people.apache.org/~jboynes/taglib
>>
>> HTH,
>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>>
>> 2012/3/1 Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org>:
>>> Is there any information lying around on how to update the taglibs site?
>>>
>>> Is taglibs-parent/site.xml actually used or is everything in the site module?
>>>
>>> What's the process for publishing? Where does it deploy to? Is a vote needed
before push? Do we want to preview changes online or is a review based on local build enough?