tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Measuring bytes sent and received from and to Tomcat
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:36:01 GMT
Hey,

On 10/22/07, Dave Rathnow <Dave.Rathnow@umsltd.com> wrote:
> Is there a way we can do the same thing with Tomcat?  It's simple for us
> to measure the number of byte in the payload of the HTTP
> request/response, however that isn't enough.  We need to know the total
> number of bytes being sent and received for each HTTP request.
>
> Can someone suggest a way I could get an accurate count of these bytes?

You can probably start with the AccessLogValve that ships with Tomcat:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html

Out of the box it will get you the complete bytes in the response.
See the above docs on how to configure that.  If you want to log the
complete bytes on the request, I think you'll have to extend the
Valve, but it should be pretty easy to do.

Yoav