tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Tulley" <JTUL...@novell.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Form based login possibility with HTMLManagerServlet
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 15:44:13 GMT
>> If my vote still counts for anything around here, I'm -1 on this
whole
>> line of approach, and +1 on removing the HTML interface to the
manager
>> webapp entirely.

>I mostly agree, however, people are used to the HTML manager now, so
we
>can't really remove it. So I'm in favor of keeping it. However, I
don't
>see the point in adding complexity to it (and FORM definitely adds
>complexity). BTW, if you want to implement FORM, I would do it with
two
>separate JSPs. That way, the code in the servlet doesn't become a big

>mess ;-)

I disagree on the complexity.  I was also just trying to work within
the existing architecture.  I added one method, not very complex and
reusing existing methods and strings within the servlet.

Without really changing the web.xml, it would be hard to do it with two
JSPs.  Having the servlet itself serve the form made it so that all you
have to change is the security constraints, not the servlet mappings as
well.  Remember that anything that follows /manager is assumed to be a
command, and there is no provision for the serving of other content,
static or .jsp.

I think Craig's objections are more to the point - the HTML manager
functionality needs to be in a separate web application, possibly moved
into the admin (That's what I think would be best).

But, as you say, people know about and use the HTML manager, and we
wanted to provide for them a seamless authentication experience, since
we use the same sort of authentication (LDAP) across all of our
management applications, so firing up Tomcat's which also can use LDAP
via the JNDIRealm should not require a separate login.  This is possible
but not desirable using BASIC authentication (for the reasons listed in
my first email).  Hence the work on the form-based.  We will probably
continue to use this technique until the admin has similar lifecycle
management functionality.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
http://www.novell.com