tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/classes/org/apache/webapp/admin/valve RemoteAddrValveForm.java RemoteHostValveForm.java ValveUtil.java
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:40:01 GMT
Amy Roh wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> amyroh@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> amyroh      2003/02/10 18:27:15
>>>
>>>   Modified:    webapps/admin build.xml
>>>                webapps/admin/WEB-INF/classes/org/apache/webapp/admin
>>>                         ApplicationResources_en.properties
>>>                         ApplicationResources_es.properties
>>>
>>> webapps/admin/WEB-INF/classes/org/apache/webapp/admin/valve
>>>                         RemoteAddrValveForm.java
>>> RemoteHostValveForm.java
>>>                         ValveUtil.java
>>>   Log:
>>>   Add validation for RemoteAddrValve and  RemoteHostValve to prevent
>>>   installing a filter that prevents the admin's own access.
>>

>> I don't understand what this does over the stanadard remote host/addr
>> valves.
>> If the maintainer of server.xml wishes to deny access to the "admin",
>> then he has the right to do so IMO. I don't agree with forcing the
>> localhost to have access, essentially. I may have an idea of where
>> this new "feature" is coming from ;-)
>

> If the maintainer of server.xml or tomcat wishes to deny access to the
> "admin", he can surely do so by editing server.xml and is recommended to
> do so if that's what he desires.  This patch doesn't prevent that
> availability.  This patch only adds validation in admin to prevent the
> admin to crash because if the user, who doesn't have better idea how
> these filters work, just create these filters that deny access to its
> own admin while running admin will cause the whole admin to crash.  Just
> try adding these valves with deny attribute "127.0.0.1", the whole admin
> will crash before this patch.  Again, this is just a validation of
> inputs that will have admin continue to work instead of limiting these
> filters usage.  Also note that you can still create these filters to
> prevent admin access from other ip addresses or host other than admin's
> own ip and host.

Yes, but IMO, it's the admin's problem. The admin webapp shouldn't
duplicate the functionality that it present elsewhere. Also, if the
admin wishes to disable access from localhost (and access from
elsewhere), then he has the right to do so.

Sorry, but you can only go so far with the "for dummy" factor ...

Remy