tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Watchdog aggregation of headers may be incorrect
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:35:27 GMT
Watchdog now merges headers, by design. ie (from the checking message)
Modified logic to send duplicate headers as one aggregated header vs. two
headers:

  header1: val1
  header1: val2

   -will now be-

  header1: val1, val2

Due to this, it looks like a couple of tests are failing. GetHeadersTest and
HttpServletRequestWrapperGetHeadersTest.

GetHeadersTest looks for two Accept-Language headers, en-us and ga-us. It does
work if they are sent as
Accept-Language:en-us
Accept-Language:ga-us

But, being sent as:
Accept-Language:en-us, ga-us

it is presented to the servlet as ONE header, with the value "en-us, ga-us"

However, I'm not sure that it shouldn't be. Parsing a multivalued header is
not only diffcult, it seems to depend on which header is being parsed.
Certainly full interpretation is very dependent on the header, e.g.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 06:25:24 GMT

The first has three values, the second has one. Interpretation depends on the
name of the header. I don't believe the Request.getHeaders() mechanism should
try and interpret the values after the :.