tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Using NIO package for Tomcat connector?
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 00:28:59 GMT
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Setera, Craig wrote:

> Has there been any discussion on building a connector around the NIO package
> in Java 1.4?  I just read an interesting article in the latest Java
> Developer's Journal about a web server built using this support and it
> looked excellent.  Using NIO would lower the number of required threads and
> buffers/objects that would need to be created.  Obviously it would be
> dependent on 1.4, so it could not be the default connector.  But, I believe
> it would be nice to have the option.

Yes, we discuss it few times.

For HTTP it won't give us too much, even if we do pool() we still need
to use the same thread model. But for the JK2 connector I believe using
direct buffers would give us a nice performance gain, and I'm working
on this.

Direct buffers are IMHO the most important aspect of NIO, it provides a
much better way to communicate between java and C.

Costin