tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Short Term Plan: Add Security Management Capabilities toTomcat
Date Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:15:33 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > BTW, this shows how hard it is to come up with a sane DTD... in the long
> > term, a possible weakness of XML :( but the only thing we can do to
> > avoid this is being smart :)
> >
> That's why XSL come handy in most situations... We can always transform
> the old document in a new one with a different format using it, and it's
> really easy...

Well, if it's easy it means that you created a good DTD to start from.
What I mean is that if you write a stupid DTD it would be a pain to
transform it.

On the official XSL mail there are tons of "I have a DTD such and such,
how do I do this?". Since XSLT is _very_ simple once you get its design
ideas, such problems show people don't think too much about DTDs and
more about restructuring the information.

Which leads to the database schema parallel already (and very wisely)
expressed.

We should create design patterns for DTD creation...

Stefano.