tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <ianhols...@iname.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Short Term Plan: Add Security Management Capabilities to Tomc
Date Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:02:34 GMT
Hi.

I am just looking at developer.java.sun.com, and it seems to have developed
a Authentication and authorization  service (JAAS
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/jaas/index.html)

why wouldn't you make use of these API's. I understand it is meant for v1.3, but I'm
sure that the interface could be supported by a 1.1/1.2 source.

..Ian

from the site:
Overview

                     The JavaTM Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS) is a
Java package that enables services to authenticate
                     and enforce access controls upon users. It implements a Java
version of the standard Pluggable Authentication Module
                     (PAM) framework, and extends the access control architecture of
the JavaTM 2 Platform in a compatible fashion to
                     support user-based authorization.

                     This release of JAAS is a non-commercial reference
implementation that demonstrates a working example of the
                     JAAS APIs. The Early Access 1.0 code has been tested by
engineering and has been through a complete quality
                     acceptance review. However, users should not expect bug free
code at this time. The objective of this release is get
                     developers familiar with JAAS APIs and allow them to start
prototyping projects.