tephra-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Omid & Tephra Migration to Phoenix LDAP
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2019 17:32:05 GMT
Hey Lars,

I haven't asked INFRA to do anything with the OMID or TEPHRA Jira
projects. I can only assume that they will interpret this as "don't
touch that", but I'll drop them a line to clarify[1]

In general, I'm considering my volunteer'ed responsibilities (thanks
AlanG ;)) to be done when Omid and Tephra have the ability to continue
to function at the ASF. I have no expectation to define how they will
make releases of either product -- that's on motivated individuals to
take up. I do not presently intend to lead any integration of either
into the "core" of Phoenix.

I'd be super-happy to know who the local "experts" will be for both Omid
and Tephra when the eventual questions/issues arise :). That can be
something we help build into the website (or mailing list chatter will
be enough to show us that).

- Josh

On 12/3/19 1:17 PM, larsh@apache.org wrote:
>   That leads me to a general question:
>
> (1) Will OMID and TEPHRA continue to be usable standalone without Phoenix? In that case
we should keep the OMID and TEPHRA projects in Jira.

> Or (2) do we envision to tightly integrate those into the Phoenix and have them only
work in the Phoenix contexts?

> I strongly feel that option #1 is the one to go for, and we should discuss and have an
opinion.
> In fact as I outlined in earlier messages, I think there are more parts of Phoenix that
are useful by themselves and should be separated out, such as the type encoders and the key-building,
as well as the high performance interface into HBase via coprocessors... among others.