tephra-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <alanfga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Tephra-0.13.0-incubating [rc1]
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 19:41:30 GMT
-1

This code appears to contain some artifacts that are licensed under
unnacceptable licenses.  Further, I could not find any guide indicated
which parts of the code are under which licenses.

See https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html for a summary of allowed
licenses.

In the licenses directory there is a copy of the LGPL (which is not allowed
in an Apache release), the EPL (which is allowed only for binary
artifacts), and Aopa.PL, which appears to be putting all the code into the
public domain (IANAL, so I might be reading it wrong).

It’s possible the Aopa part is ok as long it only applies to code Tephra is
using.  The EPL might be ok if it’s only for binary artifacts.  I don’t
believe there is any way that the LGPL is ok.

And a guide is needed to indicate which parts of the code are under which
licenses so it is clear to anyone who downloads the code that these other
licenses do not apply to the whole system.  See
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/LICENSE for an example.

Alan.