subversion-users mailing list archives

From Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not able to delete a repo from the CLI for Subversion
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 12:39:30 GMT
> On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:15 AM, Miller, Christopher M CIV USARMY MEDCOM AISR (US) <christopher.m.miller217.civ@mail.mil>
wrote:

> I'm cleaning up Subversion repos that got spread out by accident and going to upgrade
Subversion from v 1.6.11 to a newer version on a new RHEL7 VM.

> There are repos that were created that are either no longer used or were created haphazardly.
The daemon is on and I can grep successfully from the CLI.

> I'm trying to use the following command via the CLI to delete a repo:
>
> svn delete -m "delete repo that is no longer needed" file:///data/svn/dept_A/test
> svn: 'file:///data/svn/IMO' isn't in the same repository as 'file:///data/svn/dept_A/test'
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.ref.svn.c.delete.html
>
> I've also tried to use the ip address too and got this error message:
>
> svn rm svn://192.168.5.49/dept_A/test -m "delete repo"
> Authentication realm: <svn://192.168.5.49:3690> 678af798-5732-4a81-9cfb-4040117c6091
> Password for 'user':
> svn: 'svn://192.168.5.49/dept_A' isn't in the same repository as 'svn://192.168.5.49/dept_A/test'
>
> I was able to delete another repo via TortoiseSVN with no issues, and leave a comment.
However I would feel more comfortable doing the cleanup the CLI.

> Can someone advise me on what I'm doing incorrectly or is there another way to do this?

Subversion does not provide an API or command to delete a repository.  To delete a repository
you need direct access to the filesystem and you simply remove the folder for the repository.
 TortoiseSVN can only delete a local repository where it has this sort of access.  It is not
possible to do it via the server protocol.

Mark