subversion-users mailing list archives

From Scott Bloom <sc...@towel42.com>
Subject RE: SVN keyword replacement
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:17:24 GMT
Appreciate the feedback.. I understand the “tags vs branches vs folders” issue…  I was
just hoping.

Question, is it possible, to add a “regex” style custom keyword?  I would be willing to
volunteer to implement it.
So maybe an automated system could figure this out, using other custom file attributes?

Scott
From: Mark Phippard <markphip@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:13
To: Scott Bloom <scott@towel42.com>
Cc: Pavel Lyalyakin <pavel.lyalyakin@visualsvn.com>; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: SVN keyword replacement

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM Scott Bloom <scott@towel42.com<mailto:scott@towel42.com>>
wrote:
Unfortunately %P still includes branch directories….

Yes, it is repository relative. That is the best you are going to get out of Subversion.

Subversion does not really have branches or tags.  It has paths (folders and files). Branches
and tags are just a convention of how you use those paths.  Even defining a syntax to lop
off some part of the %P would be pretty difficult when you consider you might have "root"
paths of all different depths:

/trunk
/branches/1.8.x
/branches/releases/1.8.x
/branches/features/joe/feature-1
/tags/release/1.8.9
/tags/1.8.9

etc.

Short of some major change in SVN to let you mark the root of your tree there probably will
not ever be a way to do any better than what %P gives you.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/