subversion-users mailing list archives

From Scott Bloom <sc...@towel42.com>
Subject RE: SVN keyword replacement
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:37:01 GMT
Thanks.. That is exactly what Im looking for!

Ill contact you off list on contribution procedures if that’s ok.

Scott
From: Mark Phippard <markphip@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:30
To: Scott Bloom <scott@towel42.com>
Cc: Pavel Lyalyakin <pavel.lyalyakin@visualsvn.com>; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: SVN keyword replacement

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:13 PM Mark Phippard <markphip@gmail.com<mailto:markphip@gmail.com>>
wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM Scott Bloom <scott@towel42.com<mailto:scott@towel42.com>>
wrote:
Unfortunately %P still includes branch directories….

Yes, it is repository relative. That is the best you are going to get out of Subversion.

Subversion does not really have branches or tags.  It has paths (folders and files). Branches
and tags are just a convention of how you use those paths.  Even defining a syntax to lop
off some part of the %P would be pretty difficult when you consider you might have "root"
paths of all different depths:

/trunk
/branches/1.8.x
/branches/releases/1.8.x
/branches/features/joe/feature-1
/tags/release/1.8.9
/tags/1.8.9

etc.

Short of some major change in SVN to let you mark the root of your tree there probably will
not ever be a way to do any better than what %P gives you.

One idea that occurred to me would be adding a new value of %W that is similar to %P except
the path is relative to the root of the working copy.  Assuming that is generally the root
of your project, such as /trunk this would give the sort of path you desire.  I do not know
if there would be any general objections to a value that varied so easily based on something
as arbitrary as the working copy root though.  That said, given that keywords are only expanded
in the working copy it does not seem unreasonable to hand this decision over to the user.
If you want to work on a contribution, I would perhaps consider something like that.  Here
is the change that added this feature:

There is also a long tortured history on this topic and feature:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-890

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard