subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Albertsen, Ketil" <Ketil.Albert...@nordicsemi.no>
Subject RE: Symlinks on Windows
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2018 10:07:08 GMT
So where did this idea about “… working copies on systems such as Windows that do not support
symlinks” come from? NTFS supports symlinks, and has supported it for many years. If my
memory is correct, it wasn’t avialable in the CLI interface, cmd.exe, utntil long after
the file system API provided it – but now we are talking history!

From: Pavel Lyalyakin <pavel.lyalyakin@visualsvn.com>
Sent: 1 November, 2018 17:49
To: Bengt Nilsson <bengt.nilsson.external@veoneer.com>
Cc: users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Symlinks on Windows

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Bengt Nilsson <bengt.nilsson.external@veoneer.com<mailto:bengt.nilsson.external@veoneer.com>>
wrote:
Hi!
We have a SVN-server running on Windows and there we get problem with symlinks.
If we put up a SVN-server on a Linux-server would that work better with the symlinks although
 the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?

Please, see SVNBook | Versioning Symbolic Links<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.cycle.html>
(scroll down to the "Versioning Symbolic Links" section). Is this what you are asking about?

If the answer is "yes", then the platform where the SVN server runs does not matter. You need
the clients to be on Linux, but the server can be on Windows.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin