subversion-users mailing list archives

From Robert Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com>
Subject RE: Symlinks on Windows
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2018 13:41:09 GMT
At Fri, 2 Nov 2018 10:07:08 +0000 "Albertsen, Ketil" <Ketil.Albertsen@nordicsemi.no>
wrote:

> So where did this idea about "... working copies on systems such as
> Windows that do not support symlinks" come from? NTFS supports symlinks,
> and has supported it for many years. If my memory is correct, it wasn't
> avialable in the CLI interface, cmd.exe, utntil long after the file system
> API provided it - but now we are talking history!

MS-Windows file systems (FAT, NTFS) don't support POSIX-style symlinks.  There
is some hack that *sort of* implements *something like* a symlink, but it is
not really the same.

although  the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
> Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?
>
> Please, see SVNBook | Versioning Symbolic Links<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.cycle.html>
(scroll down to the "Versioning Symbolic Links" section). Is this what you are asking about?

> If the answer is "yes", then the platform where the SVN server runs does not matter.
You need the clients to be on Linux, but the server can be on Windows.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services