subversion-users mailing list archives

From Zoran Petkovic <zo...@ietcombustion.com>
Subject Subversion svn+ssh, sshd 100% CPU
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:21:15 GMT
In the past few days I have been doing extensive testing of Subversion with different clients,
operating systems, client and server versions and have noticed very strange behaviour with
windows clients connecting to Linux servers, hitting them with excessive CPU usage on the
sshd process, where the Linux clients do not exhibit this behaviour.

A sample test setup is as follows:
Server Linux Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2, OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016,
Subversion version 1.9.3 (and 1.9.7).
Client TortoiseSVN 1.9.7

When checking out large repositories the linux server is hit on the sshd process, the process
running with 100% cpu usage. This in effect slows down the performance and ultimately the
speed at which the checkout runs. Linux clients connecting to the same server do not cause
this load on the server.

This happens even when compressions is turned off and when encryption Cyphers are changed,
as well as different versions of subversion. The behaviour is identical. I'm not sure who
to address for this issue as this not only happens with TortoiseSVN but with SlikSVN as well.
Any direction would be appreciated.

Regards,

--
Zoran Petkovic