Johan:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Doug Robinson
<doug.robinson@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Johan:
>
> The "svn lock" enables all people considering working with a file to
> be able to see who currently has the file locked.  But they cannot see
> anyone who is working on the file but does not own the lock.
>
> Reading the "p4 edit" man page:
>
> https://www.perforce.com/perforce/r16.1/manuals/cmdref/p4_edit.html
>
> we see that the expected use is "p4 edit; <edit file>; p4 submit" and that
> "p4 edit" updates the Perforce database to mark the file as being edited
> by that account in that workspace.  That means that any other Perforce
> user can see *all* of the other accounts working on that file (this is *not*
> the same as a lock) by issuing the "p4 opened -a file" command.
>
> The ClearCase Dynamic View situation is pretty much the same as what
> I have described above for Perforce.

Okay, so IIUC with "p4 edit" multiple users can start editing the file
(Alice, John and Jim), and they can all indicate concurrently that
they're editing the file, and other users can see that Alice, John and
Jim all have the file opened for editing. Interesting, but I fail to
see how that helps with non-mergeable files, where you want to lock it
out for one person to work on it at the same time.

Or they can check to see who's editing it before checking it out.

Remember the question from the OP: "in Tortoise SVN, there is no
method of locking a file until it has been changed .
or knowing who is actually working on a file. is this feature
available on any other version control , GIT , CVS ?"

There are 2 parts to that question:
1. no method of locking
2. no way to see who's actually working on the file

The former is just wrong: SVN has locking and TortoiseSVN definitely
has that implemented.

He seems to be asking for locks, i.e. one developer locks it until he
has completed his change.

I just didn't assume that the OP only was talking about locking.
If they were then the 2nd comment is strange, but, well, ok.  Done.

Apart from that: AFAICS the remark "But they cannot see anyone who is
working on the file but does not own the lock" applies to all systems
under discussion. With Perforce, I'm guessing that I can just as well
start editing the file with some text editor, outside of p4's
knowledge, right? That's just the same as starting to edit an
svn:needs-lock file without taking the svn lock (note that an
"svn:needs-lock file" is by default read-only on the filesystem in an
svn working copy, so you have to explicitly make it writeable).

I'm not sure about Perforce's implementation.  However, just for
comparison: with ClearCase Dynamic Views you can *not* edit the file
without a checkout.  The Dynamic View implementation is via an actual
OS file system so you can't beat it.  And everyone can see that checkout.

Doug

--
Johan

--
DOUGLAS B. ROBINSON SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER

Learn how WANdisco Fusion solves Hadoop data protection and scalability challenges

Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being passed.