subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Andreas Stieger" <Andreas.Stie...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: which version control supports file locking and who has it locked
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 16:17:02 GMT
Doug,

Doug Robinson wrote:
> To be more precise, you can know who, in the past, has made changes to files and
> checked those change into the repository.  You cannot know who has made changes
> in their working copy and has not yet checked them back into the repository (they
> may never do so).

I am not sure why you would introduce this dichotomy here, it is irrelevant. OP asked for
locking support. Subversion supports locking, lock hinting (svn:needs-lock), lock communication/discovery
(display of who, when and why). In the cli, hooks and GUI clients. Whether or not actual changes
were done in any working copy is irrelevant, and a delay in submission a mere social/project
problem.

> To know who is actually working on a file requires a level of integration that is not
> found in SVN, Git or CVS.  I have a vague recollection of an SCM that did enable
> such information but I'm not remembering which one it is at the moment.

Rather, if the project policy is such that locking is required, it should be implemented accordingly.
lock-modify-unlock for the whole project is a supported option, albeit not a commonly used
one.

Andreas