subversion-users mailing list archives

From Pablo Fajardo <faja...@esrf.fr>
Subject Unclear/inconsistent behaviour of fixed-length keyword substitution in binary files
Date Sat, 14 May 2016 18:26:58 GMT
I am using keyword substitution in binary files and if I modify the
value of the keywords (date or revision) inside the keyword anchors of
my working copy and then I commit the file, in some cases keyword
substitution works as expected and in others it is completely ignored:
the file is committed to the server with the modified keyword (instead
of clearing the anchor before sending the file) and no substitution
happens at the client side.
I have observed that the fact that substitution works or not depends
somehow on the particular value of the modified keyword, although I have
not identified any pattern or rule.

This is not a major problem as manual or accidental modifications of
keywords in the working copy cannot be taken as a normal action. However
I am surprised that there are two different behaviours and, as keyword
substitution is critically important for me, I would like to understand
which is the intended behaviour. I would also be interested in finding
out which are the actual rules that the SVN client applies for keyword
substitution, even in cases like this one that go beyond what is
described in the svnbook documentation.

My SVN client is TortoiseSVN 1.9.4. I am using binary files (.doc) with
$Revision:: $ and $Date:: $ fixed-length keyword anchors. The svn
properties of the files are:
   svn:mime-type = application/octet-stream
   svn:keywords = Author Date Id Revision

Thank you

Pablo