subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan <luke1...@posteo.de>
Subject Re: Questions about --pin-externals option
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:27:48 GMT
Hi Edwards,
> A couple questions regarding "svn copy --pin-externals":
>
> 1) I thought I saw that when the --pin-externals option was being
>     developed it handled things differently when the destination was a
>     tag verses a branch.
>
>     IIRC, copy --pin-externals to a "tag" destination just pinned the
>     revision to the current one (leaving the path the same), but if the
>     destination was a "branch" and the source was relative, it would
>     leave the version floating and change the path so it too pointed to
>     a branch (or something like that).
>
>     Did the branch handling stuff get dropped?
That would be news to me. As far as I'm aware SVN does not treat
tags/branches special in any case.
To keep externals "floating" simply use externals without pinning them
to a certain revision, or am I getting your question wrong?

> 2) Are there server-side version dependancies for use of the
>     --pin-externals option?  Or will it work with any server version?
This client-side feature works with any server but requires a client >= 1.9.
Note that the feature to specify externals with peg revisions was
actually added in 1.5 already [1].
That said, if you use that feature all clients which access the
repository should be >= 1.5 to understand the syntax correctly.
1.9 only added that command line option to simplify working with externals.
> Where does one find documentation for 1.9 versions (the book only
> covers versions up to 1.8)?
The SVN book for 1.8 is the most resent version available atm. Most of
the information should still apply to SVN 1.9. A good source for the
newly added features would be the release notes [2].

[1]: https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html
[2]: https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.9.html

Regards,
Stefan