subversion-users mailing list archives

From jbl...@icloud.com
Subject Re: SVN and Active Directory
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:12:18 GMT

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Gronde, Christopher (Contractor) <Christopher.Gronde@fincen.gov>
wrote:

> Has anyone in here successfully integrated SVN with Active Directory for user authentication?
 We are currently using FreeIPA and user account management is the bane of my existence.
If anyone has or knows of any documentation for integrating Active Directory with SVN (preferably
1.9 since we are going to upgrade to that version) that would be much appreciated.

> V/r
> Chris Gronde (CTR)
> Navstar, INC.
> Linux Systems Administrator
> Network Monitoring Engineer
> Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN)
> Technology Solutions and Services Division (TSSD)
> Tel: 703-905-3578
> Cell: 571-318-7743
> Office: 2041K

I have, just recently in fact. The trick is to use SASL with LDAP. I only use authentication
at this point and don't use AD groups for authorization.

I'm using a RHEL7 as my svn server which bundles SVN 1.7. I can't imagine the configuration
of the server would be drastically different from 1.7 to 1.9.

So far the only burr in the saddle has been making sure the clients support SASL/PLAIN --
most do, but Eclipse with Subclipse was a failure.

As long as you're fine with passing credentials in cleartext, then this will work for you.
If you need SSL encryption, then you will probably need to add Apache. Trying to get the RedHat-supplied
svn and Apache components to work together was a non-starter, and trying to build everything
from source on RHEL didn't work either.