subversion-users mailing list archives

From jbl...@icloud.com
Subject Re: Upgrade Subversion from 1.5 to 1.9
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 19:58:45 GMT

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 10:33 AM, Safarulla Meerasahib <safarulla.meerasahib@oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have recently taken over a production  application from other team, which uses the
SVN 1.5.0 as one of the component. Now we have a requirement to upgrade this to latest version
of the subversion.
> While going through the Apache subversion link we have noticed that Subversion 1.9 can
only upgrade working copies created with Subversion 1.6 and Subversion 1.7.
> Is there any workaround to upgrade 1.5.0 to 1.9?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Safarulla M.

There is a difference between upgrading the repository and upgrading a working copy. As long
as all the code has been committed to the repository, you can simply check out a new working
copy using the new client and not be concerned.

Upgrading a repository is a not an issue either since the server is quite forward compatible.
That said, if your old repository is based on BerkeleyDB you will need to ensure that the
new version of SVN is also built to use BDB. Alternatively, you can perform "svnadmin dump"
on the old repository and use "svnadmin load" on the new to transform your repository regardless
of the storage method.

So, make sure you understand the difference between a repository and a working copy.