subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Steenveld, Andre" <A.H.M.Steenv...@marin.nl>
Subject svnversion output changed when redirecting the output. Why?
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:09:25 GMT
Hi,

I’m working with svn (via TortoiseSVN) versions 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 and due to external factors
I cannot bring it up to the same version.
Also, I’m using svn via the TortoiseSVN package but I believe that my question is related
to svn and not to TortoseSVN, please correct me it this is not the case.

I use the svnversion command to keep track of versions in my sandboxes. For this I redirect
the output from svnversion to a file and use that file in other parts.

For versions 1.7 and 1.8 the command line output from svnversion is identical to the redirected
output. But for version 1.9 it is not and there is no command line option to get it to the
`old style’ output.

Here is an example for 1.8
C:\…> svnversion .
22923:22924M

C:\...>svnversion . > output.txt
C:\...>type output.txt
22923:22924M

And here is the same example but now for 1.9
C:\…> svnversion .
22923:22924M

C:\...>svnversion . > output.txt
C:\...>type output.txt
22923:22924

Note that if the sandbox is not modified the first line is an empty one.

Question:
Why is the M (sandbox modified) on a separate line?
How do I get ‘1.8’ behavior back for this 1.9 version of svnversion?

Kind regards.

André Steenveld | Software Engineer | Production Onderhoud, Ontwikkeling & Support
MARIN | T +31 317 49 34 30 | A.H.M.Steenveld@marin.nl<mailto:A.H.M.Steenveld@marin.nl>
| www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/marin> [YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/marinmultimedia>
 [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/MARIN_nieuws>  [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/marin.wageningen>
MARIN news: Viscous free-surface power predictions for self-propulsion using a hybrid RANS-BEM
coupling procedure<http://www.marin.nl/web/News/News-items/Viscous-freesurface-power-predictions-for-selfpropulsion-using-a-hybrid-RANSBEM-coupling-procedure.htm>