subversion-users mailing list archives

From Alfred von Campe <alf...@von-campe.com>
Subject Modifying svn:log property: good or bad?
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:40:31 GMT
Is modifying the unversioned svn:log property considered bad practice?  We’re about to upgrade
to a new Subversion server at work, and the central group that manages that server will no
longer allow modifications to unversioned properties.  Their main reason is so that third
party tools like Jira and Crucible, that have daemons that scan check-in comments for keywords
and index the results, don’t have to be re-run again to re-index updated commits.  They
are recommending creating a property on all the files that were affected in a commit (the
name/value of the property is not important), and then committing that change with the “correct”
check-in comment.  I can see their point, but sometimes you just want to correct a minor typo
in a commit log.

I’m just wondering what collective wisdom of this group is in regards to updating the svn:log
property (or other unversioned properties)?

Thanks,
Alfred