subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1 updated user can't commit
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 08:35:53 GMT
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Corey Meyer <drrelic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy, I have a repository that I have multi-users updating and committing to and from.
Sadly my machine can’t commit. Since updating from SmartSVN7 to SmartSVN9 I get a number
of errors depending on circumstances.
> If i’m trying to commit over the internet (which is normal, the server lives in Seattle
and I’m near Tacoma and half my other users are in New Jersey) I most likely get an error
were SVN just crashes or from the command line I get
> svn: E120105: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E120105: Error running context: The server sent an improper HTTP response
>
> I was in the office yesterday on the same network and got a lot less crashes but many
of the same errors. After many attempts to rectify the commits I started getting this error
instead
> libsvn: Out of memory - terminating application.
> Abort trap: 6
>
> Now i know my other users are not having any issue updating or committing, i’m not
having any issue updating but I am the only one who can’t commit. I also know I’m the
only one who has updated subversion to 1.9.3 and SmartSVN9.
> As the IT guy i probably should have done this on a test box but I wasn’t really expecting
there to be any issues, haha jokes on me.

> Any help would be fantastically welcomed and I’m happy to answer any questions that
will help me resolve this!

Hi Corey,

Some users on this list might have experience with SmartSVN, but most
of us don't. The lingua franca around here is "command line usage of
the native client" (i.e. a binary that's been built from officially
released sources by the Apache Subversion project).

Now, I have some vague recollection that SmartSVN7 still used SVNKit
inside (which is a pure Java re-implementation of svn, not supported
by the Apache Subversion project, having its own mailinglist etc). And
SmartSVN9 probably uses a native svn client (svnkit has not made a 1.9
release yet). There might be some leftover working copy corruption,
created by the SVNKit client, causing trouble for your new (native)
client.

The first thing to try is to run 'svn cleanup' on your working copy.
That might repair some subtle issues in your working copy metadata.
After that, run 'svn status' and see if that completes normally (and
doesn't take ages). Then try to commit again.

HTH
--
Johan