subversion-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Cooke, Mark" <mark.co...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Compiling ZLIB for svn 1.9.3 on Windows 7 using MSVC 2008
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 10:35:33 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bert Huijben [mailto:bert@qqmail.nl]
> Sent: 04 January 2016 12:29
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Stefan Hett [mailto:stefan@egosoft.com]
> > Sent: maandag 4 januari 2016 11:41
> >
> > On 12/31/2015 10:31 AM, Cooke, Mark wrote:
> > >> -----Original Message-----
> > >> From: Ivan Zhakov [mailto:ivan@visualsvn.com]
> > >> Sent: 30 December 2015 18:59
> > >>
> > >> On 30 December 2015 at 19:06, Cooke, Mark wrote:
> > >>> [Updates below]
> > >>>
> > >>>> -----Original Message-----
> > >>>> From: Cooke, Mark [mailto:mark.cooke@siemens.com]
> > >>>> Sent: 30 December 2015 15:56
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Folks,
> > >>>>
> > >>>> I was having issues compiling httpd and svn for use with Trac (via
the
> > >>>> python 2.7 bindings).  I have compiled httpd 2.4.18 (with apr 1.5.1,
> > >>>> apr-util 1.5.4, apr-iconv 1.2.1, openssl 1.0.2e, pcre 1.3.8 and
> > >>>> mod_wsgi 4.4.21) and am now trying to compile svn.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> I noted the comments about zlibstat and ZLIB_WINAPI [1][2], so
I
> > edited:
> > >>>> - zconf.h (added #define ZLIB_WINAPI)
> > >>>> - bld_ml32.bat (added the /safeseh switch to both lines)
> > >>>> ...and ran:
> > >>>> - vcbuild /rebuild contrib\vstudio\vc9\zlibvc.sln "Release|Win32"
> > >>>>
> > >>>> This seems to compile OK so I copied the zlibstat.lib up to the
zlib
> root.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/INSTALL
> > (section E4
> > >>>> ZLib)
> > >>>> [2] http://www.tannerhelland.com/5076/compile-zlib-winapi-wapi-
> > stdcall/
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Next I built SERF 1.3.8:
> > >>>>
> > >>>> [...]
> > >>>>
> > >>>> In the end I got it running by _removing_ all the ZLIB_WINAPI
> > >>>> defines in the Visual Studio project files and _not_ defining
> > >>>> ZLIB_WINAPI in the main config file: this is the opposite of the
> > >>>> advice in [1]! Does this sound correct? If so I think the INSTALL
> > >>>> file needs updating.
> > >>> I get one test failure but it looks bad:-
> > >>>
> > >>> START: checksum-test.exe
> > >>> PASS:  checksum-test 1: checksum parse
> > >>> PASS:  checksum-test 2: checksum emptiness
> > >>> PASS:  checksum-test 3: zero checksum matching
> > >>> svn_tests: E200006: Decompressed data doesn't match expected size or
> > crc
> > >>> with blocksize 17: Found crc32=0x3a74e3ee, size=241883.
> > >>> Verify your ZLib installation, as this should never happen
> > >>> FAIL:  checksum-test 4: zlib expansion test (zlib regression)
> > >> Zlib has known bug in assembly optimized code. Just disable assembly
> > >> optimized code in zlib and everything should be fine.
> > > Thanks, Ivan, that makes sense.  For the record this is how I got ZLib
> > working for me:
> > >
> > > Unpack archive to \svn\zlib
> > > Search/Remove all instances of ZLIB_WINAPI from *.vcproj
> > >
> > Are you sure this is required? My current build environment suggests
> > it's just building/working fine and as intended by adding the
> > ZLIB_WINAPI define. That's how it should also work.
> > I've to admit that I didn't test it using VS 2008 (but rather 2010 and
> > 2015), but I would not expect that having an impact on the reported
> > linker error you got.
> > Might it be that you compiled another lib which pulled in zlib without
> > defining ZLIB_WINAPI? Then that would explain the linker error you are
> > reporting.

To be honest I am not sure, I am not vastly experienced in compiling so many independent projects
to work together.  It appears to be working at the moment and all the svn tests pass.  I will
try to investigate but work priorities are now elsewhere...

> The ZLIB_WINAPI patch changes the calling convention of the library.
> That is not necessary for Subversion's usage, but it might be necessary if
> you use the same ZLIB dll file from something else. Just make sure both the
> headers and the actual libraries use the same convention or you see huge
> problems in edge scenarios.
> 
> In general I would recommend using a normal static compilation of ZLIB for
> Subversion or otherwise one with LTCG enabled, to allow completely inlining
> things in the linker step. That allows even further optimizations than just
> changing the calling convention.
> 
> 	Bert

I am trying to compile with minimal changes to anything (I was hoping not to have to make
these sorts of changes at all).  I will collate my notes and would welcome suggestions for
improvements to the process.

BTW I am using VC2008 for compatibility with the Python 2.x libraries as we use subversion
with Trac (trac.edgewall.org).

~ Mark C

Mime
View raw message