subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Subversion commit email script and "unprintable" characters
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:52:06 GMT

On Jan 13, 2016, at 9:27 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:

> We are using a (very old) commit-email.pl script to send out email notifications from
a post-commit hook on our Linux server running Subversion 1.7.5.  Lately I’ve noticed some
emails that contain lots of “unprintable” characters.  Here is a snippet from a recent
commit:

>     If it?\226?\128?\153s nil, I set to false.
>
> This is happening mostly from Mac clients.  Running “svn log” from the command line
on Linux and Windows shows the check-in comment correctly, but not from a Mac client ironically.
 This leads me to believe that the log is stored correctly on the server but that the commit-email.pl
is script is not properly sending it out.  I assume this is an issue with not properly encoding
TF.  So my questions are:

>    1. Where can I find the latest version of the commit-email.pl script and does it fix
this issue?
>    2. If not, what is the current recommended script to use to send email notifications
from a post-commit hook?

The current version of commit-email.pl is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/commit-email.pl.in

As it says at the top:

# This script is deprecated.  The Subversion developers recommend
# using mailer.py for post-commit and post-revprop change
# notifications.  If you wish to improve or add features to a
# post-commit notification script, please do that work on mailer.py.
# See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer .