subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Lowe <doctorjl...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Bug report: svnversion crashes during Subversion build/install
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 19:44:49 GMT
On 2016Jan 7,, at 17:32, Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2015@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> During the build of Subversion 1.9.3, it calls the just-built svnversion program. On
OS X at least, this crashes because the just-built Subversion libraries have not been installed
yet so they are not in their expected place. The crash causes OS X to create a crash log file,
which I've attached, but the relevant bit is:

> Dyld Error Message:
>  Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libsvn_wc-1.0.dylib
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/var/macports/*/svnversion
>  Reason: image not found
>

> I do set DESTDIR; that may be necessary to reproduce the problem.
>
> A solution on OS X is for the build system to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory
where the libraries can be found in the build directory, anytime you want to run a just-built
program that links with just-built libraries. I imagine the problem would affect other unix
operating systems as well, and for them the solution may be to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I
am not familiar with non-OS X unix systems.

	We have been seeing this problem a lot with FOSS on El Crapitan, caused by the new System
Integrity Protection [SIP].  Unfortunately, the engineers who came up with this feature must
not have used any software that wants to run tests prior to installation.

	Anyway, setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH [or any DYLD_*] won’t help: SIP makes sure that all subshells,
scripts, etc get a bare environment specifically to prevent exactly what you are trying to
do.  As a user, the fix is to disable SIP before compiling.  For the project, the short-term
fix is probably going to be skipping the test on OS 10.11.

Sent from David-Lowes-Mac-mini

One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel.