subversion-users mailing list archives

From Alfred von Campe <alf...@von-campe.com>
Subject Re: Subversion commit email script and "unprintable" characters
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 01:54:12 GMT
Thanks for that pointer.  I’ve started to look into the new script, and noticed it has an
accompanying config file.  However, I would like to be able to specify some parameters on
the command line because they vary with each commit.  For instance,  this is how I call the
the old Perl script from our post-commit hook:

    $COMMONDIR/commit-email.pl -r $USEREMAIL --diff n -s "$SUBJECT" $REPOSITORY $REVISION
$EMAIL

That is, I like to set the Reply-To: address (-r) to the user who made the commit, I set a
customized Subject line based on the branch name, commit revision and username (-s), and the
email list is set from a file that is checked into the repo and accessed via svnlook.

Does the new Python script also support command line options or must everything be configured
via the config file?  Is there any documentation for this script (other than the script itself)?

Alfred

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 11:52, Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2015@ryandesign.com> wrote:
>

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 9:27 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:
>>
>> We are using a (very old) commit-email.pl script to send out email notifications
from a post-commit hook on our Linux server running Subversion 1.7.5.  Lately I’ve noticed
some emails that contain lots of “unprintable” characters.  Here is a snippet from a recent
commit:

>>    If it?\226?\128?\153s nil, I set to false.
>>
>> This is happening mostly from Mac clients.  Running “svn log” from the command
line on Linux and Windows shows the check-in comment correctly, but not from a Mac client
ironically.  This leads me to believe that the log is stored correctly on the server but that
the commit-email.pl is script is not properly sending it out.  I assume this is an issue with
not properly encoding TF.  So my questions are: