subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Chapman <dcchap...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Debian Linux 32 vs. 64 bit
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:08:14 GMT
On 1/25/2016 3:59 AM, Niemann, Hartmut wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I want to upgrade my Linux box from Debian Jessie (32bit) to Debian
> Jessie (64bit).
>
> For the transition time, the machine will boot alternating the 32bit
> and the 64bit OS.
>
> I have several SVN repositories and working copies on it.
>
> Is it safe to share SVN repositories and working copies between 32bit
> and 64 bit?
>
> (Jessie ships with 1.8.10, as far as I know.)

I wouldn't try this approach for a machine with repositories.  I had a
repository on a 64-bit Linux machine, then bought a 32-bit micro server
that I could keep running all the time.  I was unable to copy the
repository directory tree directly, even though both were Intel
architecture machines.  I had to dump and load (with svnadmin).  I'd be
surprised if this has changed in the last three years.

It is possible that the working copies would be OK, but I haven't tried
that migration path.  I'd worry that there are binary files in the
working copy format as well (e.g. SQLite), and these might have native
long integers which will switch from 32 to 64 bits on Linux machines.

I just did a 32-bit to 32-bit migration, and I found that the safest
approach was to have a separate machine (or at least a separate hard
drive) so that I always had a stable system running.  I took the
original offline only after the new one was running and stable.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA