subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan <luke1...@posteo.de>
Subject Re: point of time dump?
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:40:12 GMT
On 1/20/2016 00:27, Eric Antonio Maquiling wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 01:52:33PM -0700, jblist@icloud.com wrote:
>> To present the code as a change over time, you have a couple of options. You
>> could perform the same export as above but do so for each revision of the
>> repository over the selected range. This could be automated creating separate
>> directories or folders for each revision. This would allow an intuitive way of
>> browsing the code base over time without the use of svn technology.
>>
>> If you need to present the actual changes, then using various options of the "svn
log" command could show the deltas of each commit over the same range. Use of the '-c' option
might allow for outputting each commit as a separate file through automation.

> I was TOTALLY wrong in what it was they wanted.  More explantion from the
> managers reveiled this to me.  An outside agency wants to view the code
> (guessing some sort of audit).
>
> They want to see the code AND the changes to code (whatever file they want to
> see) over the course in time UP TO June of last year.  BUT not from June last
> year to present.
>
> Talked to a developer who is pretty good with SVN and he thought he had ideas
> but then turned out it won't work.
>
> I suggested they install Tortoise and they can view all the changes they want
> but the source code has to be outside the building and the network so it has to
> be presented something like a CD or DVD.
This is quite an unclear requirement to me. If it's an audit, you'd
normally grant them restricted access to your network (for instance via
a VPN). It's then possible to grant them read access to the SVN
repository and restrict that to a subset of the entire repository, if
required.
If they are doing an audit, they might have more sophisticated tools at
hand. If I were you, I'd ask which tools they want to use to do the
audit to get an idea what they really require.

If they really require full offline access to the entire repository, you
could create a backup/dump of the data they need so they can locally set
up their own SVN repository (even on a local machine). You can filter
the dump to control which data they will be provided with.

Another alternative is to provide slaves of the repository you have in
your company, if network speed is the limiting factor/concern by the
management for the audit (or whatever it's required to). VisualSVNServer
for instance provides facilities for that case, and I think that
Wandisco as well as Collabnet also provide some competing solutions.

Regards,
Stefan