subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Andreas Stieger" <Andreas.Stie...@gmx.de>
Subject Aw: Re: Sync-ing two SVN repositories
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:58:30 GMT
Hello,

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 10:08 AM, Mani Raju wrote:
>
> > My company & vendor planning to maintain 2 independent SVN repositories(URLs
& server names are different) & need to merge between 2 repositories.

> > Is SVN 1.8 support merging between 2 repos at trunk or branch level?
> > Is any tool provides auto sync or auto merging without manual intervention
> >
> > Tried with TortoiseSVN  by creating 2 repositories, merged & getting the below
error.Refer attached.

> > ERROR --> svn: 'x' isn't in the same repository as 'y' "
> >
> > I got the below link to sync between branches from different repositories.Provided
solution in this link is to maintain
> > the same UUID for both repo.So I am guessing we can sync at branch level.
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3907162/svn-error-x-isnt-in-the-same-repository-as-y-during-merge
>
> Don't set two repositories to the same UUID unless their contents are intended to be
completely identical (and such identicalness will be maintained by use of the svnsync program).

> Even if you have two repositories that are identical to each other, one of them will
need to be designated the "master", and that will be the one that all commits are made to.

> Subversion is a one-central-repository system.

Unless of course one of the lesser known features is used:
Cross-repository copies and merges actually work (to not use the term "supported"). Copies/moves
will become additions, inter-revision history is compessed and there is no merge tracking.
See the three-agrument (copy or) merge syntax "svn merge A@N A@M .", where A and "." refer
to different repositories.

Not that it's recommended in the user's case, but it should be mentioned.

Best approach in the svn space for Mani would be vendor branches based on the information
shared.

Andreas