subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: Feature request: Save the old file when svn revert
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:58:21 GMT
On 21 July 2015 at 11:38, Andreas Stieger <Andreas.Stieger@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> David Grierson wrote:
>> > "svn revert" will delete the local changes and nowhere to find, which
>> > is dangerous.
>> > I suggest the default behaiver should be save the local changed
>> > file(if any) to "filename.local" and do the revert.
>> >
>> That's actually not a bad idea ... I've been burnt by this one a couple of times
myself.

>> Probably worth raising it with the dev@subversion.apache.org list to see if it's
something that they've considered previously.

> Actually a feature in at least one GUI client:
> http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-settings.html#tsvn-dug-settings-dialogs
> Otherwise it's rather platform specific to implement, and may be better suited for integrated
clients.

I think best solution is to move reverted files to Recycle Bin if it
present on platform.

Many platforms seems to have Recycle Bin concept these days: Recycle
Bin on Windows, ~/.Trash on Ubuntu and Trash on Mac OS [1]

[1] http://www.hardcoded.net/articles/send-files-to-trash-on-all-platforms

--
Ivan Zhakov