subversion-users mailing list archives

From JT.Mil...@L-3com.com
Subject RE: Authentication Questions
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 15:50:31 GMT
Thanks Philip, what you explained for the authz/authn caching makes sense. We recently performed
a major upgrade of our IT infrastructure and I took the opportunity to upgrade our very old
Subversion configuration (old physical server with Apache 2.2/SVN 1.4 to virtual server with
2.4/1.8). We have had some pretty significant latency issues (due to my ignorance of a proper
configuration). I was searching for performance bottlenecks and was (unduly) concerned by
what I saw in the logs with debug enabled. Mostly I wanted to verify that the traffic pattern
I showed was typical, and it doesn't sound like it's anything out of the ordinary.

I think the culprit for us was the default AcceptFilter directive. Changing this to AcceptFilter
http none seems to have cleared up all the latency issues.

Thanks again for your explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Martin [mailto:philip.martin@wandisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 9:17 AM
To: Miller, JT @ SSG - PE - MT
Cc: users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Authentication Questions

JT.Miller@L-3com.com writes:

> I guess there's no caching of credentials since the path-based
> authentication file can change at any time?

I'm not clear what you mean by "caching of credentials".  Subversion typically sends multiple
HTTP requests over a single connection.  Each HTTP request has its own authn credentials and
caching those would not make sense, although Apache may cache any data used to validate the
credentials.  Subversion's authz file is parsed when first needed and cached for use by any
subsequent HTTP requests on the same connection.

--
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*