subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: TortoiseSVN on the shared drive to be used by multiple users
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:07:13 GMT

On Dec 4, 2014, at 10:42 AM, frame wrote:

> In our office, each of us has his own PC. Cygwin is installed on each PC. Every PC can
access the shared S drive.

> I have installed TortoiseSVN on my own PC. I am thinking doing a short-cut: no need to
install TortoiseSVN on everybody's PC. I just copied my C:/Program Files/TortoiseSVN to the
S drive. Now everybody in Cygwin on his PC can have 'svn' command(svn is an alias now to avoid
typing the long path). For example, "svn --version" works on everybody's Cygwin.

> The problem is authentication. On their PC Window Explorer, mouse right click won't show
those SVN options in the menu. On their Cygwin, I typed this command:

> svn ls username my_username --password my_secret_pswd URL
>
> prompting me to enter password for the user 'my_username', I did and it hangs there forever.
>
> I checked his PC %AppData%/Roaming/Subversion/auth/svn.simple. The directory has been
created on his own drive. But it is always empty.

> I even cleaned my own svn.simple directory, re-run TortoiseSVN gui again, this time I
entered his username and password so that a credential file was created in my svn.simple/.
Then I moved this file(containing his credentials) to his own empty svn.simple/, then on his
Cygwin I tried "svn ls URL". It still didn't work.

> Is that possible for me to set up such a thing so that everybody can use the shared svn
on the S drive, no need to install his own?

I don't know if TortoiseSVN can be used that way. You could ask on the TortoiseSVN mailing
list.