subversion-users mailing list archives

From John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>
Subject RE: global ignores
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2014 17:28:09 GMT
Thanks Mark, that did it.

JM

From: Mark Phippard [mailto:markphip@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 1:18 PM
To: John Maher; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: global ignores

Please keep users@ involved.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM, John Maher <JohnM@rotair.com<mailto:JohnM@rotair.com>>
wrote:
Thanks Mark.  Could you be a little more specific?  Like look at what and where.  I’ve been
looking at all kinds of stuff and reading many, many posts but nothing is clear.

I do not have any specific suggestion, just that if you see a ? then that means the file should
be ignorable if the settings are right.

For example, what is a comment in the config file.  Many places it talks about comments but
nowhere does it explain what a comment is.  I see lines starting with # and lines starting
with ###.  Are all of those comments or just the ###?  It is clear that the lines with ###
are comments but is subversion reading the lines with # or are they comments also?

Any line that starts with # is a comment.

On Windows, open the Run dialog and enter %APPDATA%\Subversion and press ENTER.  Then edit
the file named "config" with a text editor.  The default value for this option is:

[miscellany]
### Set global-ignores to a set of whitespace-delimited globs
### which Subversion will ignore in its 'status' output, and
### while importing or adding files and directories.
global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

Make sure your text editor does not change the filename or save it with a file extension added.
 If you are using TortoiseSVN, I recall their Settings dialog also provides access to this.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/