subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: Subversion 1.8 freezes during long updates
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:30:37 GMT
On 1 July 2014 21:45, Butler, Stephen <Stephen.Butler@hamburgsud.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to help users in our corporate network.  They currently use Subversion 1.7
+ neon (via TortoiseSVN) because of errors in checkout/update using Subversion 1.8.  During
a long checkout or update, TortoiseSVN 1.8 freezes after downloading a few hundred MBs of
data.  The svn command-line client does the same.

> To get more information, I compiled Subversion (within the TortoiseSVN branches/1.8.x
tree) with serf tracing turned up to eleven (SSL_MSG_VERBOSE, etc).   Then the errors no longer
occur!  Apparently the extra output changes the timing somehow.  But performance is of course
very bad.  Less tracing recreates the errors, but without revealing a smoking gun.

> I attached the Visual Studio debugger to a frozen cmdline client.  It seemed to be looping
through impl_pollset_poll (in apr/poll/unix/select.c) without receiving anything.

> On the Subversion server, the last message in the Apache access log is a successful file
download (matching the last line of client output).  The Apache error log had nothing new.
 The network has lots of firewalls and transparent proxies, as was the case in a problem that
Branko recently solved:

>     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201401.mbox/%3C52D6D944.8060308%40wandisco.com%3E
>
> Should I try to corner the network admins, or is there a client/server troubleshooting
step I've overlooked?

> Thanks for any insights,

Hi Steve,

1. Does the issue reproduce if you force bulk updates using
'--config-option=servers:global:http-bulk-updates=yes' command line
option or 'SVNAllowBulkUpdates prefer' on the server side?

2. Do you have antivirus installed on client computers?

--
Ivan Zhakov