subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Stieger <andreas.stie...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Vendor branches: Current guidance?
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 18:53:47 GMT

> On 22 May 2014, at 18:55, D D L <ddl877@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> What are the currently accepted best practices / tools for maintaining "vendor" branches?
>
> I've seen the page at:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html
>
> I ask about updated guidance since:
>
> 1) I notice some (?) churn for this section in the SVN Book repository:
> https://code.google.com/p/svnbook/source/browse/trunk/en/book/ch04-branching-and-merging.xml
>
> 2) There appears to be both "svn_load_dirs" and "svn-merge-vendor.py" scripts at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/contrib/client-side/

Yes, pretty much by the book. I am maintaining several vendor branches without use of client
side scripts here. Using a client 1.7 or later helps due to single .svn directory.

> Secondarily, what kind of issues can I expect to encounter as I setup and use a vendor
branch style deployment?

Unnecessary churn, both in your local modifications and upstream, will result in unnecessary
conflicts. A good merge tool/editor helps.

With kind regards,
Andreas Stieger