subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Balažic <david.bala...@comtrade.com>
Subject Commiting objects named .svn Was: .svn directory - safe to add files in ".svn" or ".svn/tmp"?
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 10:56:07 GMT
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 4, 2014, at 15:46, David Balažic wrote:
>
> > Branko Čibej <brane <at> wandisco.com> writes:
> >
> >>    It's not a question of SVN being fragile or not. The .svn/ directory
> >>    is private to Subversion and you're not allowed to fiddle with it.
> >
> > Servus Branko,
> >
> > related to this, is the name ".svn" reserved/prohibited?
> > What if I wanted to commit a bunch of files that would contain a file (or
> > folder) named ".svn”.
>
> That would not be supported. Don’t do that.

(I'm not subscribed, BTW)

I did some quick tests with TortoiseSVN 1.7.14 (based on Subversion 1.7.16) and while it refuses
to add/commit the name ".svn",
I could rename an existing versioned object (both file and folder) from another name to the
name ".svn" and commit it (local repository).

It is an old version, but if interested, someone can check this with the latest software.

(CCing the TSVN users list)

Regards,
David