subversion-users mailing list archives

From Tony Sweeney <tswee...@omnifone.com>
Subject RE: Copy the files between the branches witin the same repo and with saving the svn info about the operation.
Date Thu, 15 May 2014 15:11:32 GMT
Look at 'svn merge'.  This does exactly what you want, from your description.

Tony.

________________________________
From: Kamil Libich [mailto:kamil.libich@gmail.com]
Sent: 07 May 2014 15:09
To: users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Copy the files between the branches witin the same repo and with saving the svn info
about the operation.

Hi,

I could not find any information neither in the archive nor in the svn book :-(

I'd like to ask you about the copying a file(s) from one repo branch to another branch of
the repo. Although, seems to be trivial, please read the scenario below.

I've been working on the project which has a lot of changes which have to be deployed in very
short periods of time; daily or sometimes twice a day. I do releases directly from the trunk.

Now, I heading the situation in which I have to work on the different software; still within
the same project, but in different branch. Let call this new branch a trunk2.

I realised, that I have to slightly modify a lot of files belongs to trunk branch. Instead
of doing ordinary copy operation and check in to the new branch with comment about its  provenance
in the comment field (as I do when I have to copy one or two files only) I'd like to copy
in the way that the information about from where the files were copied we maintain in svn
automatically.

Can I do this?

Sumarising,
The present situation:
1. I check out the trunk branch
2. I check out the trunk2 branch
3. I do copy the files I want (under the OS, select and drag over)
4. I update the trunk2 branch with the information about the source of the files in the comment
window during the update

The demanded situation:
How to do the copy (create a duplicate of the file in the different branch and still the same
branch) whilst the information about the source of the copy will be automatically (not in
comments field) maintained by SVN.
It will allow me to do the independent changes in two branches still maintaining the history
with letting me know which file was derived from which file and when.

Cheers,
Kamil