subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject RE: svn list support for listing directory entries only
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 19:34:23 GMT
The ‘list’ command is really only implemented at a high level, by retrieving the entries
of each directory at a time and then filtering the results.

There is nothing you can do to really optimize this for directories without changing the ra
layer and wire protocol for svn:// and http://.

I think it would make at least some users happy to add a ‘streamy’ list operation on the
ra layer as it would optimize all the ‘svn ls’ cases, but nobody spend the time to fully
implement this yet.

(I actually started an implementation of this some time ago, but never finished this as the
compatibility work to support older servers was harder than I anticipated. But a lot of the
missing ground work that made it that difficult back then is now implemented)

I’m not sure which Subversion client you use for your ‘svn ls’, but recently I compared
an 1.6 an 1.8 client over http:// and the difference was *huge*, and 1.9 should be slightly
better yet than 1.8. Perhaps just using a newer client might solve your performance problem.

Note that ‘svn ls’ was never an operation that Subversion was tuned for. Subversion works
best on and between entire trees, while ‘ls’ is mostly a diagnostic tool. Some api users
actually use the ‘svn status’ backend to quickly obtain a full tree of a repository in
a single request in a faster way than ‘ls’

                Bert