subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: how to upgrade sub version 1.4.2 server to 1.8.8 !!!
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 06:20:53 GMT
On Mar 31, 2014, at 20:20, Mohsin Abbas wrote:

> I am running subversion 1.4.2 server with apache 2.2.14 on Linux machine . Now I want
to upgrade to subversion 1.8.8 with apache 2.2.25 . Please guide me how to upgrade ?

> FYI
>
> Machine Class : Linux i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> File system for repository : fsfs (not burkely DB)
> http access only

You should start by reading the Subversion release notes for each version whose features you’ll
be getting (1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8):

https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html

If you don’t want to read each one in its entirety, at least read the Compatibility Concerns
section, which will tell you about the new features in that version and what you have to do
to enable them. You can weigh your desire to use each new feature against the inconvenience
of performing the prerequisite steps. For example, representation sharing, which was introduced
in 1.6, may save you significant disk space if you use a lot of branches, but if I remember
correctly, you have to dump and load your repository to get it. If you’re less concerned
about disk usage and more interested in not incurring downtime during such an upgrade, you
might choose to forgo this feature.

In order to actually install the new versions of Subversion and Apache, you would follow whatever
steps you originally used to install the old versions. Perhaps you used whatever package manager
is commonly used on your operating system; I can’t advise you with regard to that.