subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: how to upgrade sub version 1.4.2 server to 1.8.8 !!!
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 18:51:09 GMT
I’m adding the users@ address back to this discussion. Please remember to use the Reply All
function of your mail program when you reply so that the conversation stays on the mailing
list.

On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:16, Mohsin Abbas <mohsinchandia@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ryan for quick response,
>
> Actually I am working in organization where SVN is core element because almost all employes
use SVN and save their changes in SVN . Purpose to ask was is their any specific issue to
upgrade directly from 1.4 to 1.8 or any other issue which I can face while up gradation ?
Please provide me how to or steps for upgrading because on Google no fruit full information
is available regarding svn upgrade .

> Second thing my team has asked to upgrade svn on same OS which i have mentioned so kindly
guide me for linux OS so that I'll be able to upgrade successfully .

> FYI
> I have installed SVN 1.8 version with Apache 2.2.25 and tested too that's works for me
without any issue . But now the time for up gradation so guide me accordingly . I want to
up grade my SVN 1.4.2 which is running with Apache 2.2.14.

> Regards

The Subversion team is very good about compatibility and I would not have any concerns about
upgrading a 1.4 repository to 1.8 format, or dumping a repository in 1.4 and loading it into
1.8.

It is supposed to be the case that any 1.x client can talk to any 1.y server, so you should
be able to upgrade the server to 1.8 independently of upgrading the clients to 1.8. However,
some new features require new clients. And also, occasionally bugs are found in this backward
compatibility that makes upgrading to a newer version necessary.

Upgrading the client will mean needing to upgrade every working copy the client uses. Hopefully
you’re not sharing any working copies between clients. If you are, then all the clients
that access a shared working copy will need to upgrade to the same version of Subversion at
the same time.

I don’t use Linux so I can’t provide specific advice there.